We act across the full spectrum of Court of Protection cases (both health and welfare and property and affairs), including:
- Acting in cases involving hoarding behaviour.
- Acting in fact finding hearings in cases of alleged sexual and physical abuse.
- Advising on cases involving a deprivation of liberty, including claims for damages and declaratory relief.
- Applications to the Court of Protection involving the issues of residence, contact, and alleged abuse.
- Cases concerning serious medical treatment and capacity to consent to sexual relations or marriage, including forced marriage.
- Cases involving concurrent proceedings in the Family Court and the Court of Protection.
- Cases involving cross-jurisdictional issues concerning incapacitated adults and their assets.
- Proceedings in the High Court under the inherent jurisdiction in a case where P's capacity fluctuates and/or there has been undue influence.
- Property and affairs disputes, including the appointment and discharge of deputies, revocation of EPAs and LPAs and entering / surrendering tenancy agreements.
- Statutory wills and gifts.
We also have experience in advising and appearing in mental health cases such as nearest relative displacement applications, judicial review and habeas corpus applications by detained patients and in hearings before the First Tier Tribunal (Health, Education and Social Care Chamber).